Posted by Kelly
on Wednesday, December 1st, 2010 at 7:39 PM
| 3 comments
- Bird lovers have identified over 70 species of birds at Echo Park Lake.
- The only Chinese food place in Echo Park, Chinatown Express, has finally reopened after a fire in the mini-mall last year.
- In the Northeast Division (north of Sunset Blvd), there were four homicides in 2010 compared to 38 in 2001.
- Mitchell Frank is our Chamber of Commerce President – and a busy man! He owns The Echo and Echoplex, along with El Prado. He is looking for a new space after parting ways with the owners of Spaceland in Silver Lake.
- A lot of people do not consider Echo Park technically part of “the eastside.”
- The Jensen’s Recreation building sign has been unlit for about five years (but we are working on it!).
- Echo Park Lake is famous for the lotus flowers, but it’s been at least two years since they’ve sprouted (hey, some newbs out there don’t know about it).
- Don’t tell anyone: I’ve heard rumors of super-secret underground/after hours/speakeasy activities – one I would love to join if I wasn’t always in bed by 10.
- They filmed scenes of Gilligan’s Island in Echo Park at the Lake.
- Echo Park has a long history of activism, and parts of it even nicknamed “Red Hill” for the high concentration of political activists living there.